One of the things I love about Twitter is the ability to both broadcast and narrowcast tweets at the same time. Using hashtags (defined) you can target a locale like Western Massachusetts (#WesternMA). I’ve used this technique to help a client with a radio show airing nationwide target communication to those communities.
Every region develops its own vocabulary. Here’s a list of the current most popular hashtags being used in Western Mass. Note: I’m not including any for profit brands or businesses … they can do their own publicity.
- #WesternMa — the region, from about Quabbin Resevior to the Berkshires.
- #wmass — another, less used hashtag for Western Mass.
- #WMTU — Western Mass TweetUps, which are monthly gatherings of people who practice Twittering
- #UMass — University of Massachusetts – Amherst related
- #PCWM — PodCamp Western Mass related
- #PVfood — Pioneer Valley food
- #hilltowns — Towns that are between the Pioneer Valley and the Berkshires
- #centralMA — Between Western Mass and Boston metro
Did I miss any? Please include your additions in the comments below.